Sunday, July 26, 2009

Reminiscing, or the Difference Between my Liberty Experience and my Full Sail Experience


Well, friends, it's been a heck of a week. Two of my closest friends came to visit me in sunny Orlando and it was a week worthy of remembrance. We visited Cocoa beach not once, not twice, but three times and despite the inexplicable dearth of blue crab it was still an experience I will not forget. We purchased wonderful little frisbee disc thing for frivolities on the beach and lost the dang thing no less than 4 times before the ocean claimed it permanently. I watched Danny Latin beat inFAMOUS in it's entirety in less than 7 days for the supremely evil ending, grilled bratwurst and pineapple under a beautiful Florida sunset and logged an unprecedented 7 games of volleyball this week. Needless to say, I am exhausted but I would certainly do it again in a minute.

I suppose the point I'm getting around to is that I'm not sure how to wrap it up; but I do feel there needs to be a definite period, if you will, to close the sentence of this past week, especially because this week felt much like a vacation week for me, even though it was a work week just the same. Also, I noticed this week how different my life is when I'm around my close friends and when I'm on my own. For example, I eat till I'm full a lot more when I'm around close friends; I spend a lot more money, I play video games much more than usual, and I spent far less time on extracurricular school-related work when I'm around friends; I feel like the separation needs to be maintained and the only way for me to transition back to my "Full Sail" mindset is to put a definite close to the week.

I figured out earlier this week just how much my life and attitude have changed since my time at Liberty. At LU, academics was the background music for my real reason for being in college - fun with my friends (especially after I found my circle of like-minded individuals). I wanted to do well enough in school to get decent grades and graduate without having to repeat classes, but it was vitally important that academics never get in the way of a pleasant social experience. Given the choice of studying for a quiz or finishing up a set list in Guitar Hero 2, I would inevitably finish up the set list (and two or three more, in all likelihood). For me, the time spent on furthering education was strictly limited to the moment the professor spoke to the moment he dismissed the class. All time outside the classroom was designated for having fun; time meant for baseball games, pick-up basketball games, intramural volleyball, Guitar Hero, instant messaging, Xenosaga, trips to EB Games, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, the dollar theater, etc. Of course, if there was a female in my life at any particular time, any and all other matters become secondary (including school work and all other friend-related activities). And you know what? After my Liberty experience was over and I didn't have my friends with me all the time any more, I was smashed in the face with the reality that I was a clueless mess.
I do wish to make it crystal clear that I believe I am where I am because of the decisions that I made and that I would not know the lessons I know now were it not for the decisions I made back then. I do not in any way regret my LU experiences, but I do wish I had learned lessons about how important education is before I wasted 4 years worth of money and time. But, on the other hand, because I was so much more focused on having close friends I have developed friendships that will no doubt last a lifetime. Before LU, I think it safe to assume I had no real friends beyond a few casual friends and simple acquaintances and also that I'll probably never again develop friendships closer than the ones I have with my college buddies from LU. I have had some of the most incredible times with them; times that I treasure dearly. Even now, with my drastically different attitude towards friends and work, I still love having a great time with these guys.

But great memories don't pay bills. Wonderful experiences don't mean much in the face of unemployment and debt.

I sometimes wonder how my life might have played out differently had I known back then what I know now, in terms of the importance of doing well in school and being determined to get a good job. The conclusion I come to is that I probably never would have gone to Liberty in the first place. It's not the best school to go to for any profession except pastoral leadership (and I've never wanted to be a pastor). But, if I'd never gone to Liberty I'd not have the friends I have now, so I'm glad I did go there. But I also wonder how happy I'd be in life if say I had stayed at Liberty and truly applied myself in school while maintaining close friendships. The unfortunate truth about life is that eventually friends do part ways (even the closest of friends) and you're left to progress on your own for a time. I know that even if I had graduated Summa Cum Laude from LU and had job opportunities springing out of the ground for my services, I don't think I'd be happy. I never felt much passion for any profession before I came to Full Sail and submerged myself in the entertainment industry.

Now, life is a little different. The tables have swung a full 180 degrees and my focus is squarely on academic excellence. I've made some new friends and we've had some good times, but for me, those good times never ever come at the expense of maintaining top-notch academics. I feel like I already have the closest friends I'll ever need and now my attention is freed to focus on career. I don't mean to suggest I'm against making friends, but I do mean that if a choice comes down to having fun or getting work done, I'll finish my work.

I feel like there are two distinct kinds of people in regards to career. There is the kind of person for whom the career they pursue is of little importance. These people work only as a means to fund their social/family life. It does not matter to them where they work or what sort of job it is, provided they can be around the people they love. Then there is the second kind of person for whom the career they pursue is of utmost importance. These people have found a profession they love, and it doesn't matter to them where they work or who they are around, provided they can do the work they love to do.

After the realization that even the closest friends cannot be with you forever but you'll always have to work, I feel that it is wisest to find a profession that you love and pursue it. I certainly don't expect everyone else to reach the same conclusion that I do, but for me, this outcome satisfies the most number of concerns. Especially when you consider how much easier it is to maintain long-distance friendships these days, thanks to social networking sites and cellular telephones, I feel that finding a career that you are passionate about is paramount. FIN.

1 comment:

  1. Good Sir, I heartily hope that this picture turns into us in about fifty years. I hope you, Danny Latin, Bill, myself and any other 22-3 veterans can sit around on a park bench or a porch and reminisce about the good old days.

    ReplyDelete