Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Note about my Note

I would like to point out that while I have trouble seeing myself married, I do not wish to portray marriage itself in a completely negative light.  For many men, being with that one special girl becomes their passion in life and to give up other goals becomes an easy decision.  It doesn't matter to them where they work, where they live, what else is happening in the world, what kind of opportunities present themselves...as long as he is with his girl, everything else is footnotes and he will gladly give up a better job, better pay, better anything if it gets in the way of being with her.  I respect that kind of devotion, but I do believe it is rare.  And that kind of passion is a potential set-up for incredible suffering and hardship, if the woman does not share an equal level of devotion to him.  I do believe marriage can work, but I think far too many people rush into it these days and they get bored with it after a year or two.  They realize this person they married isn't a prince or princess.  He/She acts like he/she would rather spend time with his/her friends than with me.  He/she hasn't asked me out on a date since I can't remember when.  She/he doesn't clean when I ask them too.  He/she ignores me when they get home from work.  He/she constantly bugs me after a long day at work.  These little things are worked through and sorted out if the marriage is functioning properly (which is to say, if each person is entirely devoted to the other).  The little things become monstrous problems if there is even a breath of selfish interest.  I think marriage won't work for me at this time in life because I know I couldn't give myself entirely for another person.  I don't want to give up my dreams for another person.  I want to focus on my life, my way. And I don't think there's anything in the world wrong with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment