Saturday, August 15, 2009

Stream of Consciousness

Time seems to whisk by at an exponentially increasing rate doesn't it? Especially as one grows older, it feels like time slips away and there's no way to slow it down or get a grip on it. I'm not even very "old" speaking subjectively.

I don't suppose there is a point to this entry. I have just finished making the digital "rounds" (catching up on my close friends' latest personal blog entries) and feel the need to record a few sentences myself.

Life continues on for me, much as it has these past 7 months. I don't mean to make it seem like my experiences are dull or without excitement, though. Quite the opposite, in fact. Life barrels onward at a breakneck pace for me, and I sometimes wonder if I'll reach a breaking point before the end. It is often difficult to catch my proverbial breath in such a fast paced community, even when there are no classes to attend. Full Sail burdens its students with so much work, that even days "off" must be spent working on assignments, just to stay on pace. It is surreal, which may or may not be the right word I'm looking for, to go to bed every night asking myself, "What can I do to make my work better?" and to wake up the next morning thinking the same thing. It is not uncommon for me to finish my work on any given day only because it's time to sleep, then to awaken and continue where I left off the night before. In all honesty, I don't mean to complain about my workload because in most cases the extra pressure to excel comes from my own high standards. I won't settle unless my work is excellent, which means I must work very hard to make it excellent. Unlike other, more gifted artists, I don't exude beautiful art. I have to work extraordinarily hard to make my work appealing.

-pause-

I find my mind changes gears rapidly. I 'd rather start a new line of thought than continue on in the previous one.

My brother and I partook of communion this evening at church. I still have the plastic cup that held the grape juice in my pocket, where it has rested since church was dismissed. It was an odd service, I felt. The pastor used a visual aid to help communicate his sermon, an oversized, 6-foot tall Bible, with large paintings on several pages depicting a few select Bible stories from the old testament (David and Goliath, Moses parting the seas, Abraham sacrificing Isaac). I kept thinking, "I wonder how much it cost to have this oversized Bible prop made for the service," and "I wonder if they took into consideration the fact that this prop will probably never be used again," and finally, "I wonder if the congregation realizes that this is what their tithes are being used for - purchasing oversized visual aids that in all likelihood will be put into storage for several years before being tossed out with other oversized props that also haven't been used in years."

I never feel like I conclude my blogs with much grace or style. Most often, I simply stop writing and click "Publish Post" and let that be the end of it. In fact, I see no reason to stop that practice now.

By the way, I highly recommend the HBO miniseries "John Adams." Excellent stuff, it is.

1 comment:

  1. This is some great stuff here. You need to do this more often. I enjoy getting glimpses into people's minds.

    ReplyDelete